POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc /=Proof Of Concept Server Time
2 May 2024 08:09:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc /=Proof Of Concept
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Apr 2021 10:53:37
Message: <60803c71$1@news.povray.org>
Op 21-4-2021 om 15:47 schreef Mr:
> Getting closer indeed! Now it has much more scale variations. Credit
> (unwillingly :-P) deserved by Ive for showing us merits of the original files.
> It might appear one could still prefer Ive's restored original version for the
> single occurrences showed. At least its contrast curve could stay the reference.

Yes, as reference certainly, in combination with what I can find on the
internet I want to stress.

> But as you geologist said, its bigger scale is misleading. For having struggled
> to do something that stays consistent at various scales, I know that you're
> tackling something more demanding but keep hope, do not give up, try to reach an
> as pleasing color curve. Theoretically, it could even get better than the
> original as the new pov version can produce more nuances. I believe at this
> stage showing both the current one and a much closer up framed render would do
> it justice.

indeed.

> *Saturation of the colors should be slighly more and brightness slightly less,
> but don't look at the picture straight out of the renderer, only after applying
> it the gamma above 1.8 and below 2.5. if your rendered frame display gamma
> doesn't do that. I would try playing either in very small amounts with the
> brilliance keyword. or switch to another shading model if they did get
> implemented since Uberpov? if they haven't the #brilliance shift kind of does
> that "shading model translation" (OrenNayar Blinn would have sigmas for various
> rocks well referenced I think).

Yes, more tweaking needed here indeed, saturation and brightness.
Display_Gamma is set as sRGB since the days of Clipka at least.

> *The specularity looks somewhat wrong sorry to be that vague: did you use
> specular or phong, because what I more clearly meant was that it looks like
> phong : too blurry.

I don't/never use phong, only specular

> Now it's just all bonus, though, the material feels really official includable
> level already!

Thanks! :-)

> Thanks for your work !

I am getting adicted! ;-)