POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc Server Time
28 Sep 2024 23:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Apr 2021 04:21:36
Message: <60794910$1@news.povray.org>
Op 16-4-2021 om 09:36 schreef Kenneth:

>> I have come to the conclusion that granites21.inc is /based on/
>> granites.inc by Daniel Mecklenberg and not an exact reproduction of his
>> code. If we want those, we need to render the original file separately,
>>    with the initial conditions like Ive and you have done.
>>
> Yes, I agree. And in my personal opinion, the gamma 1.0 'look' is most likely
> what was intended, more or less-- based on my trust of your own knowledge of
> granites, and also the original comments by Daniel M, who seemed to know about
> the subject himself. It would surprise me if he did run his textures with a
> 2.2-gamma and accepted the result-- because I would assume that "North American
> Pink granite" is a well-known and 'standard' type of rock, agreed on by
> geologists.  Not like 'political viewpoints', ha.

Lol! My thoughts entirely. I assume that Daniel Mecklenburg intended his
textures to be used with an added scale closely related to the
/dimensions/ of the supporting object where a 10cm wide cube in one
scene would need a different scale than a 10m wide stone wall in another
scene. Caveat: if used in the same scene, both objects would of course
need the same scale! I would argue that, by itself, any POV-Ray texture
is "dimensionless" and needs a known support in order to be scaled
accordingly.

I assume that the name "North American Pink" is the commercial name. As
a geologist, I would call it a 'granodiorite' probably. The same goes
for the other granites textures which I have been able to trace in the
Real World.

In any case, as 'simple' users, lets be and remain creative! Also in the
rgb/srgb matter (ouch! I did it again!). We have a saying here: "buiten
de lijntjes kleuren" which translates as "colouring outside the lines
(or the boundaries)" and meaning "breaking the rules" in particular
concerning the creative process, but also applied to scientific
research. It promotes serendipity without any doubt imo.

--
Thomas