POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc Server Time
17 May 2024 18:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Apr 2021 02:46:39
Message: <607932cf@news.povray.org>
Op 15/04/2021 om 22:03 schreef Kenneth:
[snip]>
> I make no judgement as to which of the versions of 'North American Pink granite'
> has the correct 'visual' look-- I'll leave that to the granite experts ;-)

It the case of the granites I sincerely wonder if the gamma issue is an
issue at all (not to be discarded like that of course but...).

Attached is a Real World photograph of North American Pink. No scale is
provided but, in general, the largest grains in granites do not exceed
10-15mm [Bates & Jackson (1987): Glossary of Geology, 3rd Ed.].

Imo, this granite hue closely resembles the assume_gamma 1.0 render and
much less the assumed_gamma 2.2 one. However, there are innumerable
variations in hue and sizes, so who can say he is in the right and who
in the wrong? It becomes almost trivial. Except for the /scale/ of the
texture, where I strongly feel that a 'Real World correct' render should
be provided to the users.

I have come to the conclusion that granites21.inc is /based on/
granites.inc by Daniel Mecklenberg and not an exact reproduction of his
code. If we want those, we need to render the original file separately,
  with the initial conditions like Ive and you have done.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'north american pink.jpg' (49 KB)

Preview of image 'north american pink.jpg'
north american pink.jpg