POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc Server Time
17 May 2024 18:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Apr 2021 11:53:41
Message: <60786185$1@news.povray.org>
Just some general comments at this stage.

Op 15-4-2021 om 16:27 schreef Ive:
> Comments, well, truth is my first reaction was just to demand that you
> remove my nom du guerre from this include file as I consider it an
> personal insult to appear within some context that is not even wrong.
> To quote W. Pauli in his native language "Das ist noch nicht einmal
> falsch."  Pronounced in his dialect from Vienna.

I would sincerely regret such a move. I do not really understand a rigid
orthodox stand about this matter, from a user's point of view. I have
always assumed that providing some liberty of choice should be given;
what does it matter which version a user chooses for his scene because
he/she finds it more appealing or "correct" for his/her personal context?

However, these are my personal views, whatever they are worth. I am also
interested in the comments on this by others beside myself.

> I also need to step in for Daniel Meklenburg (aka Code Warrior) the
> original author of the granites who's intention was to provide some
> realistic colored granites for POV-Ray. And he did it very well for the
> time, and yes I did check it out by installing POV-Ray version 3.0 and
> did render it there.
> None of your 3 versions does even remotely look like the original granites.

See my rapid comment in my earlier post.

> And no, providing 3 versions has nothing to do with artistic freedem
> or freedom of choice when all 3 versions look completely dull compared
> to the original.

Dull... in what manner? I fail to understand.

> Well, for old times sake, I did create a scene file that shows a
> framework how this has to be done, added numerous notes and comments as
> to how and why.

My sincere thanks for providing the scene file in particular. I have not
looked at it in detail yet, but I shall return to it and comment where
necessary later on.

> And for artistic freedom, I'm all for it and might add a small addition
> to this framework that will allow you to change a dark green granite to
> some bright pink marble - and in addition will do some *really* useful
> thing called blackpoint compensation, addressing the issue that (most)
> contemporary monitors are unable to display *black* while good old CRT's
> had no problem with this.

All right.

> Attached is the scene file and two example render showing Code Warrior's
> North American Pink granite polished and frozen.

Thank you indeed! Much appreciated. I am all for a good discussion even
if we do not necessarily agree on all points.

Cheers!

--
Thomas