POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc |= a fundamental suggestion Server Time
3 May 2024 00:59:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc |= a fundamental suggestion
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Apr 2021 02:51:07
Message: <6077e25b$1@news.povray.org>
Op 14/04/2021 om 19:11 schreef Kenneth:

>> Also changed the remaining 0.000 values (only a few left) to 0.004.
>>

> It just occurred to me that a small explanatory note-- about the 'why' of this
> addition-- might be useful, somewhere in your package. So that future users
> don't scratch their heads and flood the newsgroups with questions like, "WHY are
> these values not 0.0??! What's this crazy .004 addition for??" Maybe for users
> like...me, ha. When I've long since forgotten the details of this discussion :-P
>
> Perhaps a modified form of Bald Eagle's explanation(s) would suffice.

That is certainly important to mention indeed. I make a note, and it
will find its place in the explanatory part of the include, or better,
in the html document to be still done.

> And I neglected to mention what a nice job you did with collating and updating
> these granite textures. Your hard work is appreciated. I especially like the
> three-way 'switch' for each texture, a great addition.
>
> Thank you!

Thank you indeed, sir :-) I thought these granites would be a nice test
case to see how we can upgrade and go forward. Although I probably found
the earliest mention of the code back in 1996, I fail to remember /when/
and /where/ those granites appeared in the POV-Ray n.g. proper. I
mention them in a post back in 2014, but earlier...?

Still a lot to do of course.

Maybe this would be the right place and time to make a suggestion about
the "real" upgrade.

Using the draft comments from Bald Eagle as well as from Maurice (Mr),
to only mention two of the contributors, I would like to suggest to keep
the first two SCS switches (0 and 1) for the "original" code, and use
switch (2) for a real upgrade and overhaul towards a full-fledged
material implementation, including all the sophisticated possibilities
like sslt. Or, should this be implemented in a to be created switch (3)?
Or even as a separated include file?

How do you all feel about this? My personal preference would be to use
switch (2).

--
Thomas