POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc Server Time
3 May 2024 06:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc
From: Alain Martel
Date: 14 Apr 2021 12:00:44
Message: <607711ac$1@news.povray.org>

> Op 14-4-2021 om 12:22 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>
>>> So, to be correct, I should also change all the single 0.000 components
>>> of colour triplets to 0.004.
>>

>> And for realism, always some small amount of reflection in every
>> finish (but
>> maybe our radiosity covers that already)
>> I usually use an E = 0.000001 to avoid coincident surface type stuff
>> For the granites I used #declare _not0 = 1/256; // a small non-zero
>> value since
>> it was the same character length as 0.000 and fit nicely into the

> Smart! ;-)
>

>> With regard to the duplicate finish blocks, there was certainly a
>> difference
>> when I rendered the base texture vs the full layered texture.
>>
> Yes, there is a difference. I need to test this more thoroughly though
> to see what the different finishes do to the final render because I am
> not entirely sure about the transparant parts of the second layer.
>
> Shall report back later.

One thing that can be done with layered textures with a finish in more
than one is to simulate varnished metals.

Have the base texture with metallic highlights and reflection, while the
top texture is transparent with fresnel highlights and reflection. Just
need to add an interior for the ior.

The rendered image is quite similar to actual varnished metal.