POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc |=changed the 'Black' value Server Time
3 May 2024 05:44:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc -->granites21.inc |=changed the 'Black' value
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Apr 2021 08:52:29
Message: <6076e58d$1@news.povray.org>
Some initial thoughts and actions involving the below.

Op 14-4-2021 om 08:40 schreef Thomas de Groot:
> Op 13/04/2021 om 21:00 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>
>>> I changed every <0.000, 0.000, 0.000> to <0.004, 0.004, 0.004> (which
>>> corresponds to 1/256)
>>
>> Thank you, Sir.

Also changed the remaining 0.000 values (only a few left) to 0.004.

>> I am playing a bit with the macro thing and a simple demo scene, and I
>> will post
>> both as soon as it's far enough along to warrant some code pong.
>>

> Good! I think the macro suggestion is the way to go. Might become quite
> complex...
>
>> Perhaps you can guide me a bit in crafting a prototype texture since
>> you're

>> your code,
>> I like what I see so far.
>> Some small observations:
>> You have some #declares in your macros where you should probably use
>> #locals.
>> Maybe use some underscores or GraniteInc_ prefixes to construct a unique
>> namespace that won't potentially clash with a user's scene file declares.
>>

> I shall look into that.

So I wrapped the environment code to be used in each pov-file into a
macro, where the parameters start with a g21_ prefix (thanks jr!).

The next step I intend to do is try to formulate a single pov file from
where each and all the granites can be rendered, name and all.

>> I'm using the "Mahogany (sp) granite - polished surface" as a starting
>> point,
>> and I'm noticing a few things:
>>

>> exceed unity?
>>
> I did not go too deep into the original code, but you are right I think;
> I need to look up my notes on this. There is also a comment in one of
> the Clipka Voodoo's which talks about diffuse values in a srgb
> environment...

In my notes I found the 'rule' for realistic finish should be:
   "diffuse albedo" + "reflection {Value fresnel} < 1
and:
   "specular albedo" + "phong albedo" < Value in the finish block;
   with the mention that a good use would be specular + phong = Value/2

I have still to browse the Clipka grimoire though...

>> (it would be nice if we had some dot-notation type stuff to work with,
>> but it
>> would be a CSG-tree type nightmare)
>>
>> This is a layered texture, but both texture have finish blocks.
>> Should there
>> only be a single finish block for the whole object?
>
> Something I wondered about too. My gut feeling is that only one finish
> should be used.

I tested this and indeed a single finish in the top texture seems to be
enough.

>> What about sslt and interior {ior} ?
>
> I don't think that those are to be used with granites. It would not add
> anything imo.

Well... I retract my words. At least, this should be tested more fully.

Fwiw, https://pixelandpoly.com/ior.html is a list of ior's that could be
useful.

>> There is also the issue of scale.
>> "The granite patterns have been scaled in such a way that, when
>> applied to a
>> unit-sized POV-Ray object, they correspond most closely to the real world
>> examples from which they have been modeled. (sp)"
>>
>> and for sslt we have:
>> "The mm_per_unit algorithm is designed to give realistic results at a
>> scale of
>> 10 mm per POV-Ray unit by default"
>>
>> So we may have some things to think about there, so that everything is
>> playing
>> together in harmony, without too much mucking about by inexperienced
>> users.
>>

> Indeed. Note however that the scale of the texture is rather arbitrary
> and open to change by the user. I felt I had to provide something at
> least visually "correct".
>

>> With more complex textures using ior, sslt, and layered textures,
>> should we have
>> a full texture_map mechanism, or material_map rather than color_map?
>>
> Maybe, and depending on "complexity". Personally, I would prefer the
> texture_map/material_map structure indeed.
>

> <grin>

back to the drawing board...

--
Thomas