POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sniffing UberPOV : Sniffing UberPOV Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:43:38 EDT (-0400)
  Sniffing UberPOV
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Mar 2021 10:54:07
Message: <6042541f$1@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know whether it is possible for a scene file to detect
whether or not it is being rendered by UberPOV, without bombing out if
it is rendered by official POV-Ray?

Why would I need to do this?  Because I'm writing a macro that needs to
know whether or not true inverse square light attenuation is available.
For official POV-Ray, this is version >= 3.8, but for UberPOV, it is
version >= 3.71.

My first (and so far only) idea was to start with a test for the
existence of the variable 'unofficial', but it turns out POV-Ray 3.8
does the same test--but treats it as if it were a keyword.  This screws
up the test for any SDL code running under 3.8.