POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Spiral Warp : Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp) Server Time
26 Apr 2024 11:05:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Feb 2021 02:44:22
Message: <6038a6d6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25/02/2021 om 16:33 schreef William F Pokorny:
> On 2/22/21 11:40 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> Le 22/02/2021 à 08:43, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
>>
>>> Just out of curiosity: How is this related to "POV-Ray 4" or whatever
>>> POV-Ray 4 stands for? I am lost about the history of that ng.

>> I do not know if there is any correlation between pov4 and povr.
>
> None.
>
> My povr branch implements some things 'I' think should be part of any
> povray 4.0.
>

>> For me, povr (as well as hgpovray38) is a divergent work from official
>> povray (3.8 not yet published), so it would have been better to continue
>> in p.u.patches .
>>

> The povr branch has only been 'published' as a patch/tarball.
>
> I've been mentioning the work in other newsgroups when I think it helps
> along a POV-Ray discussions or when a povr update has been driven by a
> bug or discussion in some newsgroup.
>
> It's also true I've borrowed the povray.beta-test.binaries newsgroup to
> publish some of the functionality. In not being mirrored to the web
> interface that group mostly doesn't show up to regular users, but was
> thinking my 'ideas' for the future are at least documented in a place
> later povray developers can find along with code in an occasionally
> published tar ball.
>
> ...I see on coming back, discussions in other newsgroups where I could
> chime in with detail and stuff only povr at the moment can do - though
> much of the basic infrastructure is there in POV-Ray already.
>
> But, I see your point too. Mention of povr, other than here, is
> confusing and noise to all but a 'very few' users. Unlike your branch
> and Dick's, the povr branch is not in total compatible with v3.8 master.
>
> I'll aim to limit povr mentions to this newsgroup. I'll still put
> tarballs in povray.binaries.programming when I happen to get something
> together.
>
> No one should take povr as other than my personal branch!
>
> Aside: I am mostly busy with real life for a bit (a week?). I need to do
> my US taxes :-( Plus, get after some other too long put off tasks about
> the home.
>
> Bill P.

Please go on posting about povr (and Le_Forgeron about hgpovray38)
wherever you see the necessity. Those are important works which I follow
with interest, even if most of the time the content goes way over my
head. ;-)  I see them as beachheads for any future version of POV-Ray,
even an official version 3.8, but certainly higher, being that 4.0 or
3.9+. Keep up the good work!

In the meantime, there is the matter of all the current includes files
to consider too for instance, as I was made aware of again. I would
gladly contribute to their upgrading to more modern standards where
textures and such are concerned. However, I have some misgivings about
my role as I know that health issues in my close family environment in
the (near) future may seriously hamper or stop my contribution. Otoh, I
always could start something of course and see where it leads me...

[Good luck with the taxes. Mine (NL) are coming up next month.]

--
Thomas