POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Quiet Lane : Re: A Quiet Lane Server Time
10 May 2024 01:56:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Quiet Lane
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Feb 2021 03:14:40
Message: <601e4ff0$1@news.povray.org>
Op 05/02/2021 om 15:52 schreef William F Pokorny:
>> I have the intention to do also a stochastic render of the scene. I
>> /think/ that would give a better result.
>
> Yes, that would be interesting to see. With the stochastic techniques
> I'm always wondering how much is a better render result and how much
> looks better because one has introduced noise. And if that last true,
> even in part, might we add noise by some more efficient means. Anyway...
> Always a thousand ideas.

I have started a stochastic render and so far it looks good: finer
details becoming clearer. No special settings at this moment: +a0.1
+ac0.95 +r3. I later want to see how, drastically decreasing +ac, will
turn out. Noise should be more visible then.

> I've been playing with more ideas using your image. Attaching three
> images. In toBloomOrOther.jpg showing your original to my already posted
> bloom filter image in the top row. In the middle row the bloom filter at
> about 1/3 the aggressiveness of the top row. In the bottom row not
> really bloom, but more adding noise by regional sampling about each
> pixel. Less blur in the bottom two rows, but still maybe too much to
> tastes.

I need to study those images a bit longer. Interesting stuff indeed.

> While at that, Mr's question about adding more contrast knocked
> something loose in my head and I had the thought, "what does average do
> with negative weights...?" Well! Interesting stuff - about which I've
> not completely wrapped my head.
>
> You can use negative weights. If you get the balance right you can get
> an image with more contrast with my bloom filter set up. Using:
>
>       #declare PigmentMap00 = pigment_map {
>      [-1.0 Pigment1 ]
>      [-0.7 Pigment2 ]
>      [-0.6 Pigment3 ]
>      [+0.5 Pigment4 ]
>      [+0.4 Pigment5 ]
>      [+0.3 Pigment6 ]
>      [+0.2 Pigment7 ]
>      [+0.1 Pigment8 ]
> }
> #declare PigmMerge = pigment {
>      average
>      pigment_map { PigmentMap00 }
> }
>
> I get the Contrast00.jpg image, which isn't traditional contrast, but
> something more along the lines of tone mapping. Without even trying! I
> find it amusing it's possible to stumble my way into such functionality.
> :-) Aside: I shrank the image size because it got large even as a jpeg
> due the detail popping out - the detail jr wanted to see and probably
> still can't. ;-)

Jr is presently battling the sticky paint on his fingers. :-)

> If you get the balance for contrast slightly wrong, other interesting
> things happen. See Cartoon00.jpg. The only difference is the -0.6 weight
> above was instead +0.6.

I like the Cartoon version!

> Creating these last two images is fast supposing the eight image
> pigments into the average function already exist. Whether with effort
> and exploration techniques using negative average weights could be made
> more finely controllable - in other words, truly usable - I don't know.

I need to look close here. This is interesting.

> So many things to play with and so little time.

True. True. I am glad this image fires off the neurons.

--
Thomas