POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : The insane project - Universe class carrier ship : Re: The insane project - Universe class carrier ship Server Time
26 Apr 2024 07:32:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The insane project - Universe class carrier ship
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Jan 2021 02:38:37
Message: <60068c7d$1@news.povray.org>

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/fJkTS5jjpkJYfpPx5780IthviNf2t29gEN9BRvwMYJN7Q9XrDRnOFZcKtd6PtbzzbisZf6mrrcVOA

>> 8QrVGDf1dnb7mFzVIv5oxevwh4nDR5TdcidHA
>>>
>>> A dream right now. A dream since years. I post this to have something
>>> out there as psychological crutch to actually try and start this
>>> project. The SOL was the Terran ship that traveled farther than any
>>> other, a ship that saw places and spaces like no other. Inside the
>>> fandom it's the epic ship even that there were others, more powerful
>>> ships. But at one time this ship was the sole hope of humanity to
>>> survive. I might be wrong but the ship was in duty for at least 1.500
>>> years in the novels. Captured by aliens, regained by humans. After the
>>> original mission to return to sol after Terra accidentally had been
>>> moved to a location incredibly far, it always had been a symbol for
>>> humanities will to survive.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Some of my PovRay works:
>>> https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D
>>

>> You know we'll be there ;-)
>> Stop dreaming only... start sharing the dream, that's what POV is all
>> about !
>> (And using frontends to help you is not cheating, its only a better
>> way to do
>> POV justice.)
>
> I'll do my best ... still I feel intimidated by the backstory of this
> ship. Must create something that other fans will find worthy.

[snip]

A little piece of goo would be helpful at this stage. :-)

I would suggest to drop /all/ the story from your mind and let the
engineer take over. Just decide which SOL you want to model in the first
place: The early one or the latter one. Then, while the hardware takes
shape, pieces of the history will come back and fall into place (or not)
to be incorporated. Just not to be overwhelmed by (needless) details.

A challenge indeed!

--
Thomas