POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Normals have a directional bias : Re: Normals have a directional bias Server Time
8 May 2024 12:54:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normals have a directional bias
From: Hj  Malthaner
Date: 5 Jan 2021 16:13:22
Message: <5ff4d672@news.povray.org>
On 1/5/21 8:07 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:

> Aside: A reason povr is dropping scalar value based normal perturbation
> methods where a custom normal perturbation method exists is that, in
> addition to being more flexible, it's much easier to control / prevent
> normal perturbation inversions. This is a move away from v3.5 onward
> normal updates toward how earlier version of POV-Ray worked.
>
> ... There are many details with normal handling I still don't
> understand. Warps and those empty code hooks being one bit ...

It's been a while that I coded C and C++ but in general I consider
myself a fair programmer (> 10 years professional experience) and would
like to help, cause I need PovRay to live and improve ...but the 3D math
is something my brain cannot handle well.

Not sure what to do here. I think I can easily get into C++ again, but
such a large and math-heavy project like Povray sure will require some
time to actually understand and being able to make meaningful patches.

Any suggestions what to do if I want to help?

--
Hajo