POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2D QRD Design Visualization : Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization Server Time
26 Apr 2024 15:34:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization
From: Alain Martel
Date: 5 Jan 2021 10:07:05
Message: <5ff48099$1@news.povray.org>

> "Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
>

>> This is render of a 1D QRD design based on prime number 13, also a 2x4
>> foot profile...I built three of
>> these a couple of months ago...
>
> Another cool design! The profile happens to look like a kind of chopped-up
> waveform.
>
> I'm curious: For these, would there be an improvement (i.e. 'better' sound
> absortion) if one or two of the three panels were mounted horizontally rather
> than vertically? To 'catch' sound waves that the vertical panel(s) may have
> missed? My own uninformed theory about these things is, the more 'random' the
> orientation, the better. But that's based on.. nothing in particular, just a
> hunch ;-)

I don't think that the orientation really mater. Sound waves are
compression waves and not polarized.

Reverberation reducing tips :
1) If possible at all, avoid parallel surfaces.
2) Use sound diffusing geometry like those shown in this thread.
3) Use absorbing acoustic foam. On at least one wall. It don't need to
cover it all.
4) Fully or partially cover a wall with some curtains.
5) Have a carpet.
6) Do not leave the room bare.