POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sundial and shadow problem : Re: Sundial and shadow problem Server Time
26 Apr 2024 07:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sundial and shadow problem
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Jan 2021 08:08:49
Message: <5ff1c1e1$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/3/21 5:36 AM, kurtz le pirate wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Little brain teaser : the attached image is part of an animation that
> simulates a simplified sundial. In order not to overload the image, the
> shadow of the sundial has been removed with the "no_shadow" attribute.
> But not for the gnomon to get the "time". As you can see, its shadow is
> also projected on the ground "through" the wall.
>
> So, how to remove this shadow on the floor but keep the shadow on the
> wall ?

If the scene is simple - like what you shown - you might be able to dial
back on the scene's max_trace_level until the unwanted shadow disappears.

There is also the projected_through feature for lights. If you put a
special object on the back side of the no shadow shape (or maybe just
the gnomon) for that projection_through shape it should be the shadow
disappears. Off the top of my head a little unsure about how light
attenuation (if any) acts with the feature.

Hmm, wonder if you could just project through no shadow shape... Would
the shadow on it still show up normally?

Might also be seam issues to fight between any inserted
projected_through shape and the seen ones if that shape is in the scene.

IIRC. You need not otherwise insert a projected through shape in scene.
Meaning it can be defined and then referenced only by the
projected_through keyword in the light. In that way it affects nothing
else in the scene except being a local light portal into the scene for
the given light definition.

Bill P.