POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solar Panels glint problem : Re: Solar Panels glint problem Server Time
26 Apr 2024 07:32:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar Panels glint problem
From: Alain Martel
Date: 20 Nov 2020 10:37:36
Message: <5fb7e2c0$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-11-20 à 07:24, Gabriele a écrit :
> Hi All,
> I am trying to simulate images of GEO satellites taken from a ground-based
> telescope, represented by the camera. I know that many GEO satellites creates
> glint when their solar panels reflect the light towards the observer. I have
> already created the geometry and calculated their position.
>
> The issue I am experiencing now is the following:
>
> - I used a small FOV (angle 0.35) to simulate the telescope, and the objects in
> the scene (Sun and Satellite) have been rendered 1000 times closer to it in
> order to make them visible. However, the solar panels seem not to be shiny
> enough to generate a quasi-instantaneous glint as I would expect.
>
> These are the finish properties given to the solar panels, together with a
> Polished_Chrome texture:
>
> Ambient: 0.0001
> Diffuse": 0.0001
> Specular: 1.0
> Roughness": 0.00001
> Reflection": 1.0
> Brilliance": 100.0
>
> Does anyone know how can I make them shinier? Is it a problem related with the
> material or is it due to the very low FOV?

You can set your ambient to zero.
Increase the specular, maybe in the 3..4 range, maybe even more.
Set your roughness to something slightly larger, like 0.001 to 0.0001.
You probably don't need to play with the brilliance at all.

Your problem may be that the panel covers less than a full pixel.
Solution : Make them larger or render at a larger resolution so that
they can fill a pixel or slightly more.