POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 : Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
19 May 2024 22:59:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Oct 2020 03:28:18
Message: <5f9bc092@news.povray.org>
Op 29/10/2020 om 17:22 schreef Kenneth:
> Thomas here, and Bald Eagle as well AFAIK, have apparently taken the time to
> create a compendium of pertinent links to old posts, that they can refer to. I
> used to do the same-- until my old Win XP computer failed...and I had stupidly
> neglected to back up my years of 'net links. (I've learned my lesson, the hard
> way.) For me, it's almost like starting again from ground-zero.

My compendium of pertinent links is small as I did really start that
quite recently after I lost so much time in tracing back relevant info
(and/or history) I needed for particular projects. The net (and hence
POV-Ray) is great for re-inventing the wheel at regular times :-) No
criticism involved here; it is the nature of the net that stimulates
this I am afraid, and its volatile way of "remembering" and "forgetting"
things. The same goes for all those people who were present during those
early days of POV-Ray and have vanished now, sometimes suddenly,
sometimes gradually, but knowledge has gone with them, if that knowledge
had not been secured one way or another.

I suppose prehistoric man experienced the same phenomenon: one tribe
discovered a novel way of knapping silex tools. They boasted about it in
the neighbourhood but were wiped out by their version of covid-19 before
the knowledge was spread. It certainly is true of his spread from
Africa: it happened several times but only few expansion waves were
successful.

[and now I shut up]

--
Thomas