POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Hgpovray38, current state : Re: Hgpovray38, current state Server Time
1 May 2024 05:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hgpovray38, current state
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 4 Oct 2020 09:49:35
Message: <5f79d2ef$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/3/20 7:20 PM, Mr wrote:
> "Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> (using CLANG-cl compiler in MSVS2019 from its internal installer, and ISO C++ 17
> language version

The code to which you are pointing is not familiar to me.

Have you tried compiling with the compiler flag '-std=c++11' ?

For windows compiles, the libraries necessary are in the libraries
directory. In the official POV-Ray code base these have not been updated
in a long time. Further, the POV-Ray base code is only ensured to work
with c++11.

In what state you might find the libraries directory in hgpovray38 I do
not know. Jerome was a Ubuntu user last I knew.

On unix/linux based systems the libraries are install-able based upon a
release of whatever version of unix/linux/osx one runs. Therefore these
libraries will work (are supposed to work) with the default c/c++
compiler version shipped. Compiles in the unix/linux/osx environments do
not use the libraries directory.

The g++ default for Ubuntu 18.04.1 and 20.04.1 to which I just upgraded
is c++14. I also set -std=c++11 occasionally to test I have not
introduced something code wise which will not compile at that standard.
In doing that for povr, I'm pretty sure POV-Ray itself still OK at c++11.

I've also played with compiles using -std=c++17, but these don't compile
on 18.04 systems because the Ubuntu 18.04 'libraries' are not compatible
with c++17(1). A hint the even older libraries directory versions likely
are not.

(1) I've not yet tried a -stdc++17 compile on Ubuntu 20.04.1 - in part
because I've been busy these past few days cleaning up new warnings in
the povr code base I now see in the Ubuntu 20.04.1 environment!

My upfront guess is the windows libraries directory is out of date for
the environment in which you are compiling. Give -std=c++11 a try. If
you're lucky, let us know.

Bill P.