POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Documenting special turbulence handling tangle. : Re: Documenting special turbulence handling tangle. Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documenting special turbulence handling tangle.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 28 Sep 2020 07:51:21
Message: <5f71ce39$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/24/20 5:42 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> I've been working on povr's it_ prefixed, internal turbulence, keywords
> implementation for patterns which have special turbulence handling.
> Those patterns are: agate, marble, spiral1, spiral2 and wood.

An update. I was aiming at another release of the povr code this past
weekend. It's been a while.

However, I've been playing over the past days some with the new it_*
keywords with pattern internal Turbulence() working apart from old style
turbulence in addition. It's easy enough to duplicate previous behavior,
but I'm finding what can better be accomplished, with the additional
it_frequency keyword and split turbulence, disappointing. A little
better sometimes; a little faster sometimes yes, but...

Also learning more about the limitations of the current patterns.

I was already thinking it_scale, it_offset good ideas for clarity and
control.I now think the it_frequency I used in all five not really the
right concept for some patterns. Maybe an it_magnitude instead in some
cases.

We have the wood pattern(1), where, in the ideal case we are missing an
inbuilt way to vary the growth ring thickness apart from all other
turbulence/noise(2). Further, the way only x and y turbulence only are
used internally (no matter the version) introduces asymmetry in the
result not ideal for a generic treatment of wood cut from a log.

I thought I was further along than I am. I don't yet know exactly what
I'm doing with these 5 special patterns. FWIW.

Bill P.

(1) - I looked back at v3.1 and it looks there as if the internal
turbulence was all that was used for wood and marble. The others still
seeing two coupled turbulences. So looks like there was some change for
those two patterns over time.

(2) - Wood rings have in seasonal climates early and late contributions.
  Would an approach to wood more like the pavement and tiling patterns
make sense... We can with warps handle most turbulence required
externally. We're also shaping to a triangle wave which doesn't fit the
ramp wave of growth rings. Might a simple cylindrical pattern (a single
0-1 ramp) with turbulence and very detailed map(s) be better in general
for wood. Unsure at the moment where to push.

(2a) Not done it, but pretty sure we can duplicate the existing wood
pattern with other functionality.