POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Documenting special turbulence handling tangle. : Re: Documenting special turbulence handling tangle. Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documenting special turbulence handling tangle.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 24 Sep 2020 07:50:10
Message: <5f6c87f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/24/20 6:29 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> And so you continue to peel away the layers of the onion...
>
> Any reason E spirals in the reverse direction than all the others?

:-) I completely missed that!

When I reworked the two spiral patterns for povr, I changed the
orientation (starting position) to match other patterns like radial (
atan2(y,x) ) - except not using atan2.

To match the v3.8 results I inserted a transformation and I missed a '-'
(or accidentally deleted it) on that render.

---
I'll mention one more detail too, because it's really a bug. Sometime
after v3.7, during one of the pattern and parsing refinements, the code
for function spiral pattern parsing was incorrectly updated. The code,
currently in parser_materials.cpp, reads:

CASE (SPIRAL1_TOKEN)
     New->Type = GENERIC_PATTERN;
     New->pattern = ParseSpiralPattern<Spiral2Pattern>();
END_CASE

CASE (SPIRAL2_TOKEN)
     New->Type = GENERIC_PATTERN;
     New->pattern = ParseSpiralPattern<Spiral2Pattern>();
END_CASE

That first ParseSpiralPattern template parameter should be Spiral1Pattern.

In recent v3.8s it means pattern use is OK, but function { pattern {} }
use always uses spiral2.

Bill P.