POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Applying textures to a spherical heightfield section afterwards? : Applying textures to a spherical heightfield section afterwards? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 03:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Applying textures to a spherical heightfield section afterwards?
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 11 Sep 2020 20:14:16
Message: <5f5c12d8$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Meanwhile, the process of generating POVEarth heightfields from ASTER
data tiles runs pretty fine... but: as currently, the texture is a part
of the generated mesh2 script, whenever I want to change the texture
itself, I have to generate a new mesh2 script - and they are 3 gigabytes
large! Is there a chance to apply the surface texture (which is a 240 x
240 pixel section from NASA's huge "Blue Marble" mosaics for each square
degree tile) after the creation of the mesh2 without using the whole
"Blue Marble" mosaic? Or, to be more precise, can I constrain an
image_map to a certain region of a sphere?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar