POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Sphere Sweep 1.2 Quadratic spline question : Re: Sphere Sweep 1.2 Quadratic spline question Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere Sweep 1.2 Quadratic spline question
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 31 Aug 2020 21:01:32
Message: <5f4d9d6c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2020-08-31 7:30 PM (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> To get an SVG style quadratic curve, you would need to use
>> SSWP_BEZIER_SPLINE, and clone the middle control point:
>
>> Unfortunately, the Bézier algorithm in SphereSweep 1.2 does not handle
>> such cloning properly.  You'll need to replace macro SSwp__Bezier_calc()
>> in spheresweep.inc with the following:
>
> Weird, but glad you had a quick fix all ready to plug in.  :)

It's been sitting on the shelf, while I try to figure out how to
reproduce one of Hgpovray's sphere_sweep features using official
POV-Ray.  But now that this graceful degradation failure (that's "bug"
in English) has turned up, I'm moving the patch up in the queue.  (An
update to AndroidRobot has priority, though.  The Google keeps changing
things.)

> Thanks very much - that fixed the bumpiness of the outlines.
> Now I have to figure out why the SVG splines render oh-so-very nicely in a
> browser, but have all sorts of apparently extraneous lines and scribble when
> converted over to sphere sweeps...

Such problems are why I wrote the SphereSweep module in the first place.