POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, as we Kartwelophiles prefer to say ;-) : Re: POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, = Server Time
3 May 2024 09:44:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, =
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 15 Aug 2020 20:02:43
Message: <5f3877a3$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 16.08.20 01:22, Bald Eagle wrote:
> =?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
>> I can't write binary data to disk as I have to build a mesh2 object -
>> AFAIK this can only be achieved by writing ASCII text!
>
> No one said anything about writing binary data.

Then I don't understand you at all... must be the August heat in here!

> (but yes you can with POV-Ray)

I know... but it won't help me! And don't forget: it's not just a basic
mesh2, it's a mesh2 with smooth triangles and per-vertex textures! It
has to have smooth triangles because otherwise there would be too much
artifacts (gaps in the surface) - even now I sometimes find tiny white
dots, but at least anti-aliasing is able to hide this.

> Now, tell the truth.  You and Sven are brothers, or at least cousins.

No, we are not.

> Perhaps there is a feature of MeshLab or PoseRay or an STL-file software,
> perhaps Blender - that can take an image map and convert it into a mesh.
> There are some cloud computing solutions out there - maybe look into those.
>
> Perhaps Maurice already has some sort of tool in Blender that can easily handle
> this.

Who is Maurice?

> The next question is: do you really need this kind of extreme resolution?
> At this point?

Hmmm, that's a question not too easy to answer... my aim in the long run
is a full-fledged open sources Earth model with realistic detail in
"pedestrian" perspective - POVEarth. If I just would produce animations
of overflights at 10,000 metres above sea level (e. g. for a new version
of my "Earth Flight" project - see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4fCO2ccm-w ) then probably 1800 by 1800
or even 900 by 900 data points will do. But, as I mentioned in the
"Georgia on my mind" thread, now I made contact with an avid Georgian
POVer, who is eager to see some background relief for his modelings of
historic Tbilisi - and in this case, 3601 by 3601 looks of course much
better!

> Can you simply use a heightfield, or a smaller image, or step through the image
> every nth pixel?

Heightfields don't follow Earth's curvature, they are "flat", smaller
images or larger steps I used with test renders, yes, they render pretty
fast, but at a "pedestrian" perspective, they are much too crude.

> I just looked at your old mesh file, and it's 24+MB.   That's a ton of
> information for a single tile.

My full-resolution mesh2 files are a cool 3 GiB! And it's obvious that,
at 24 GiB RAM, only two of them already cause POV-Ray to crash... I need
MUCH more RAM and a MUCH faster CPU! And a private little dual fluid
nuclear reactor on my balcony to power this beast of a computer...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar