POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, as we Kartwelophiles prefer to say ;-) : POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, as we Kartwelophiles prefer to say ;-) Server Time
3 May 2024 00:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, as we Kartwelophiles prefer to say ;-)
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 14 Aug 2020 21:52:19
Message: <5f373fd3@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

A second "Georgian" elevation data tile has been processed into a mesh2:
n42e044 (the naming is according to the coordinates of the southwestern
corner). The terrain texture is a 240 by 240 pixel section from the July
2004 version of the global Blue Marble Mosaic (86400 by 43200 pixels)

First, I started with a overall view from south and 40,000 metres above
sea level... somewhere at the eastern (right) edge of the central
glaciated area must be Mt. Kazbek (5034 metres), which should be quite
remarkable, when moving the camera closer (as I plan for today, trying
to capture the Kazbek massif from Stepantsminda).

Contrary to Bald Eagle's recommendations, precalculations and
concatenations of #write operations did not help much in increasing
parsing speed of the mesh2 generating script - calculating a mesh2 from
the n42e044 heightfield still took 2 hours, 32 minutes. I need a faster
computer! 16-core Ryzen Threadripper fitted with 128 GiB of RAM or
something like that...

I also will try today whether my 24-GiB hexacore is able to render
scenes containing two instead of just one mesh2 terrain relief tile,
adding the Caucasus as backdrop for Tbilisi... back in April, this
worked quite well with Svalbard, but these reliefs were mostly flat sea
floor.

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2020-08-15 greater caucasus (n42e044) from south and 40,000 metres.jpg' (95 KB)

Preview of image '2020-08-15 greater caucasus (n42e044) from south and 40,000 metres.jpg'
2020-08-15 greater caucasus (n42e044) from south and 40,000 metres.jpg