POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:34:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Aug 2020 02:49:27
Message: <5f30edf7$1@news.povray.org>
Op 09/08/2020 om 20:52 schreef Bald Eagle:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> great, there's news in the news section, and the HOF images change.  (it feels
>> ... less abandoned.  thanks)
>
> Something in the news section (2 years old) that I think we could use over here
> is
> "Call for Participation"
>
> http://www.realtimerendering.com/raytracinggems/rtg2/index.html
>
> We invite articles on the following topics:
>
> Basic ray tracing algorithms (intersection testing, spatial data structures,
> etc.)
> Unified lighting schemes
> Shadows, reflections, ambient occlusion, etc.
> Reconstruction, denoising, and filtering
> Rasterization and ray tracing hybrids
> Particles, volumetrics, and hair
> Level of detail (geometric, material, and texture)
> Animation schemes
> Global Illumination
> Occlusion Culling
> Materials and BRDFs
> Efficiency and best practices
> Non-graphics applications (audio, collision, physics, etc.)
> Virtual Reality (VR/AR/XR/MR)
> Deep learning
> ....and any other notable work related to ray tracing
> Articles will be primarily judged on practical utility. Though longer articles
> with novel results are welcome, short practical articles with battle-tested
> techniques are preferred and highly encouraged.
>

> I have learned a lot from many people here on the forums and through contacting
> people in academia and industry who have been kind enough to take the time to
> correspond and add to my knowledge of many interesting topics.
>
> There are a lot of topics covered in the above list that I and others have
> requested or at least alluded to, and some have been worked on and developed to
> some extent by the very busy folks here in our little corner of the internet.
>
> Perhaps we could add a similar page to the POV-Ray HOME, and "seed" it with some
> existing material simply written up a bit more formally as an article addressing
> a specific topic.
> A secondary benefit of doing this would be to invite material from academics,
> hobbyists, and professionals, and provide a nice and convenient reason to
> request the use of material they may already have published elsewhere.
>
> This could also function as a mechanism to find qualified people who may have an
> interest in POV-Ray and who could do some further developmental work.   ;)

This seems to be a very good starting point indeed. I have been
pondering the issues we are faced and have been wondering if we, as end
users, could not contribute more readily one way or another our own
POV-Ray experience accumulated over the years, in short, comprehensive,
pieces of text with simple (or less simple, for those who are able to)
scenes. Most often we contribute through these ng's which is fine, but
over the years much of the information is somehow lost or forgotten and
I have noted several times that the same wheel is being invented over
and over again. Personally, I am certainly willing to contribute in this
way the things I have developed over the years and which may help
beginners or more advanced parties. I am not versed in mathematical
arcana and most of what I do is common-sense, straightforward, coding. I
am sure however, that there could be a demand for it. I am not sure in
what form this should be done and if this should be incorporated into
the web site (I think it should), but I put the idea here for further
discussion.

It is not my intention of course to revamp the content of sites like
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/pov__eng.htm or
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/index.htm for instance. There is enough
other stuff.

--