POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth still far away... : Re: POVEarth still far away... Server Time
29 Apr 2024 08:30:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth still far away...
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 31 Jul 2020 11:02:41
Message: <5f243291$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)

(two weeks later...)

Am 15.07.2020 um 19:19 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> I think he meant just to buy some more RAM, second-hand.
>
> I used to work for an electronics surplus place, and we could have probably
> filled a pallet with memory sticks of every description.
> We could have probably filled several pallets with the hard disks.
>
> You can buy new 1TB HDD for ~35 USD (FRN) or 8 TB for $150
> Why you'd need that much, I have no idea.
>

> You can check whatever the equivalent of Ebay and Craigslist for computer
> listings, look for used or damaged systems at yard sales, flea markets, moving
> sales, estate sales - you really just never know what someone is willing to just
> give away for a few dollars.

Meanwhile, I installed Memtest86+ and run it now since almost nine
hours... but still no ram error has been found! And I worked out more
precisely where that memory access error with mesh2writer.pov occurs:
always in the 22th iteration of the outer part of the last nested loop
(currently, I don't have the code at hand, as I plan to run Memtest86+
until tomorrow morning - I write this message from my old laptop).

If even tomorrow no RAM error would have been found, there would be no
way but running my test version of mesh2writer.pov (reduced resolution,
1000 by 1000 rather than the original 3601 by 3601 data points) several
times with another out of four RAM strips left out each time...

Until then, I'll have some fun with my Commodore 64 recently
reactivated... time to build a directory for my 150+ diskettes!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar