POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 17:49:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Thorsten
Date: 26 Jul 2020 05:52:24
Message: <5f1d5258$1@news.povray.org>
On 26.07.2020 02:42, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 26/07/2020 06:24, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> because of some technical product expertise I had, and the sponsored
>> account status meant that I didn't pay the by-the-minute charges that
>> CompuServe charged.
>
> Compuserve charges were exorbitant over here in AU (about USD $35/hr). I
> didn't have an offline reader when I started hanging around GO GRAPHDEV
> reading messages and downloading images and for the first few months I
> felt like was helping fund their CEO's new Ferrari.
>
> I got OzCis which helped a bit but even then with only a 14.4k modem I
> had to be wary of what binaries I downloaded (or uploaded), which is
> likely the primary reason I don't have a full archive of all the images
> from the early Compuserve days.

You might also want to ask Chris Young, maybe he has an archive, too.
IIRC at least on GO POVRAY he would upload full source archives based on
patches we submitted.

As for myself, I do seem to have a full archive of GO POVRAY on my old
PowerMac 7200. But the Compuserve software requires Mac OS 8 or System
7, it seems :-( So I have to see if I can work around that given I had
upgraded that Mac to Mac OS 9, apparently.

Thorsten