POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Jul 2020 21:35:24
Message: <5f1cdddc$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:25:25 +1000, Chris Cason wrote:

> I'll mention however that this doesn't mean the email address has to be
> displayed publicly (I don't think any forums do that by default).

Web-based forums generally don't have to, but in connecting them to NNTP,
the value for the 'from' address needs to match (generally) so you can
tie the accounts together.

On the web side, it can be hidden, but on the NNTP side, at the very
least, a From: header is required for all posts.  But there's no
validation checking unless the server specifically has some code to do
that (which I haven't observed myself - but as innd, for example, is open
source, there's no reason it couldn't be).