POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Jul 2020 21:33:20
Message: <5f1cdd60$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:42:03 +1000, Chris Cason wrote:

> On 26/07/2020 06:24, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> because of some technical product expertise I had, and the sponsored
>> account status meant that I didn't pay the by-the-minute charges that
>> CompuServe charged.
>
> Compuserve charges were exorbitant over here in AU (about USD $35/hr). I
> didn't have an offline reader when I started hanging around GO GRAPHDEV
> reading messages and downloading images and for the first few months I
> felt like was helping fund their CEO's new Ferrari.

Yeah, I had a CIS account of my own at some point (71321,1461 - I
remember it like it was yesterday), but once I got the sponsored account
(76702,1452 - shown in your listing from the forum), the other one fell
into disuse.

> I got OzCis which helped a bit but even then with only a 14.4k modem I
> had to be wary of what binaries I downloaded (or uploaded), which is
> likely the primary reason I don't have a full archive of all the images
> from the early Compuserve days.

One of the 'perks' of being involved in the forums I was there was that I
got in on some special offers given to CompuServe SysOps - including a
really good price on a 14.4k modem.

I was an OzCis user as well, but when OzWin came out, I didn't switch - I
preferred the text interface, and the Windows interface was too
cumbersome to use (I believe we had a conversation about that once
before. ;) )