POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can we speed up the saving process? : Re: How can we speed up the saving process? Server Time
2 May 2024 07:49:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can we speed up the saving process?
From: Thorsten
Date: 13 Jul 2020 11:27:20
Message: <5f0c7d58$1@news.povray.org>
On 13.07.2020 13:29, Kima wrote:
> Thorsten, it has nothing to do with writing the data on disk. It is about the
> time required to produce JPEG or PNG file.

No, it is not.

> Save the output to a bitmap file (e.g., BMP) or even use any large image (not
> produced by POV-Ray). It takes much longer to convert it to PNG as compared with
> JPEG. Not just because the produce JPEG is smaller.
>
> One reason is that PNG is zip-compressed (normally zlib).

No, believe me I know because I actually implemented the JPEG code in
POV-Ray. The ZIP compression does not take any longer than the JPEg
compression.

Your system very clearly has some sort of problem, and you really want
to find out what that problem is because it most likely also leads to
poor performance of other programs.

Thorsten