POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elliptical torus : Re: Elliptical torus Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:33:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elliptical torus
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 8 May 2020 07:36:47
Message: <5eb5444f$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/5/20 1:34 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> With regard to dot notations and vectors - what is the "native form" for a
> pigment pattern?  Is it an "rgb" vector where each component simply has the same
> value unless modified by a color_map?
>
> And is it therefore slower to use .gray or .hf?

You got it. Yes, it's slower to use .gray or .hf if, say, .red will do.
However, often not by enough you can really tell given the volatility of
today's CPU performance.

We also have the issue POV-Ray's .gray, .grey and .hf functions not
being quite the norm. Somewhere there are posts from Christoph - and
maybe Cousin Ricky - on this IIRC. I have notes somewhere...

I've been staying away from .gray, .grey and .hf and output to grey file
formats for a while.

I think so long as all rgb values match exactly the difference in
POV-Ray's conversion to a gray value doesn't matter - but that statement
should be thoroughly tested before being set in stone.

Bill P.