POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speeding up rendering many spheres : Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres Server Time
18 Apr 2024 00:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres
From: Alain Martel
Date: 6 May 2020 14:46:04
Message: <5eb305ec$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-05-06 à 11:47, Nicolas George a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> I have a scene made of 200k spheres merged on a path (like a sphere_sweep,
> but with changing pigment and a ringed look), few are big, many are tiny and
> barely visible. Unsurprisingly, it is taking forever to render.
>
> I am looking for ways to speed it up.
>
> My attempt was to group the spheres in sub-merges, and let POV-Ray compute
> bounding boxes for these groups. It helps, a little, but not much. Not
> enough to make the scene possible.
>
> My next attempt would probably be to try to add explicit bounded_by on the
> groups.
>
> I could experiment by myself, but people here probably have insight: do you
> have advice on the most efficient way to speed this up?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If those spheres are not transparent, then, you need to replace that
merge with an union.

Maybe only have the big one in merge and the small and tiny in unions.
That way, your bounding will get much more efficient.
As the tiny are barely visible, changing from merge to union won't make
any visible difference. Also, having those opaque instead of transparent
should have only minimal effect.

I don't think that manual bounding could help.