POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speeding up rendering many spheres : Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres
From: Nicolas George
Date: 6 May 2020 14:08:54
Message: <5eb2fd36@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" , dans le message

> For bounding, blobs are apparently the way to go.

I doubt it. The principle of bounding box is that they need to be as fast as
possible, while blobs are vey slow.

> For pseudo-sphere-sweeps, I always use a sphere followed by checking if it's the
> first sphere or not.
> If not, then I draw a cylinder from the last sphere to this sphere.
> Save this sphere in a variable for the next loop.
> In your case with varying radii, you can use cones instead of cylinders.
>
> Perhaps if that works well enough to fill in the space, then you can even
> decrease the number of spheres you use drastically.

I think I was not clear enough in my first question: the scene is done, it
is made of sphere, they are already computed, I am satisfied with it. I only
need help to get POV-Ray to render it before the end of the century.

> Alternately, and I have no idea if this has any advantage - you could
> model a sphere as a mesh or mesh 2 unit sphere base object and just scale
> and translate it.  But that might only save memory, not speed up the
> rendering.

I doubt that a mesh will take less memory than a sphere.

Thanks for your help.