POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii : Re: RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:57:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 30 Apr 2020 07:23:22
Message: <5eaab52a$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/29/20 5:23 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> RoundEdge 2.0 now has macros for rounded boxes with unequal edge radii.
> As a bonus, a wrapper is added for POV-Ray's cryptic isosurface evaluate
> feature.

Thanks for the update.

I've never gotten to where evaluate is part of my isosurface flow... How
much does the evaluate feature typically buy you?

In my experiments 10-15% at most - and it's sometimes slower, but I've
also not stuck with using it. Am I'm missing bigger possible gains?

Suppose my issue with feature is I don't know what it really does beyond
adjust the gradient on the fly within some bounding(1). The code is
there, I could figure it out, but given I've never seen big gains...

Aside: v38's optional parameters are tempting additions to your evaluate
wrapper. :-)

Bill P.

(1) - What happens inside that black box when I play games with ever
changing (dis-continuous) - or even significantly flat gradients? Tricks
workable if the roots are kept 'away' from the discontinuities (within
continuous value regions/envelopes) - and the sampling periodicity is
high enough over the whole isosurface with respect to rays such that the
continuous value envelopes are not missed.