POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Livelihoods : Re: Livelihoods Server Time
25 Apr 2024 20:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Livelihoods
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Apr 2020 02:51:40
Message: <5ea7d27c@news.povray.org>
Op 27/04/2020 om 21:33 schreef Bald Eagle:
> "Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Democracy is not something to be played down as "a
>>> price worth paying", imho.
>
>> ...that western world also installed democracies
>> beginning with ... USA and so on.
>
> The united States of America was designed to be a Constitutional Republic.  The
> Founders recognized the dangers of a pure democracy, and did their best to
> protect against it.   That's one of the reasons the politicians and media harp
> on "democracy" so much - because it's the very antithesis of what the Founders
> envisioned as an enduring nation of Liberty and prosperity.
>
> Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
>
> Alas, much has gone badly awry in the last 200 years, though I have seen some
> claim that it was planned that way from the very beginning.
>
> I think the important thing is not that we make [honest] mistakes, or fall, but
> that we get up, and we learn the important lessons from the errors committed.

Interesting! I wonder what the term 'democracy' meant to the Founding
Fathers... I suppose something godless, inimical to their own faith;
after all, they were refugees. I don't think that the modern
understanding of 'democracy' remotely corresponds to theirs, except,
maybe, in the US? ;-) Certainly, the term 'liberty' means something very
different from my own definition when I read about fringe groups like
'preppers'. But then the same can be said about far-right political
parties in EU which use the term 'liberty' for their own intentions.

--
Thomas