POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object) CSG member : Re: no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object)CSGmember Server Time
29 Apr 2024 08:10:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object)CSGmember
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 4 Apr 2020 06:00:56
Message: <5e885ad8$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/29/20 12:05 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 3/29/20 11:44 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>> On 3/25/20 8:05 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:

  Yep, my head never shuts off on this stuff - a problem when it comes
to getting anything in particular done. I wondered this morning about
no_bump_scale and how it gets handled with normals...

The first paragraph of section 3.6.1.2.4 Scaling normals ends with the
sentence: "Think of this like the way no_shadow gets passed on to
objects contained in a CSG." which we know not to be generally true
today in v3.7 or v3.8 - and I expect never completely true.

However, seeing that comment got me thinking about Christoph's statement
about hollow treatments changing v36 to v37 with respect to which shape
in a CSG was used to propagate hollow statements to a CSG result
changing from the first to last - or maybe visa versa.

"Maybe," we could support some limited universal propagation of
no_shadow et al through csg by always propagating always from ONLY the
first object in the csg block? Is this what the pre - v37 coders intended?

In any case. If someone gets the time to dig. Maybe something limited
like a first shape only csg propagation could be supported in v38 which
would be of some help.

Bill P.