POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object) CSG member : Re: no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object)CSGmember Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:42:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object)CSGmember
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 29 Mar 2020 10:41:11
Message: <5e80b387$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/28/20 9:56 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
>> My head keeps coming up with more questions about what might and might
>> not work. But to test and enumerate all the fringe cases - ugh. And the
>> detail would only confuse.
>
> Just asking out of curiosity - is there any way to flowchart most of this?

Probably. "It's only a matter of code," as an old work friend would say. :-)

> I often have a hard time deciphering the docs - because that's the nature of
> documentation and language in general - but when there's a diagram or rendered
> code example, to support the text, then it's usually much better.
>
> Perhaps there's some debugging lines that can be inserted into a copy of the
> source that will spit out how the stack of CSG onion layers gets "flattened".
>
> Perhaps a simple POV-Ray scene that diagrammatically shows the "before" and
> "after"  flattening attributes of CSG components just to illustrate the basic
> concept graphically.

I'm with you on learning best from examples and diagrams. It's on my
list to dig more into the bounding / final internal representations
given I have a list of situations these days where bounding - or lack of
good bounding - is the largest component of a scenes render time.

I've wanted too, to be able to dump the internal representation after
parse and bounding, but no idea when I'll get something like that going.
At the moment focused on the pattern/function cleanup I was working on
late last year - but now in my cut down version of POV-Ray / povr.

Bill P.