POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object) CSG member : Re: no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object)CSGmember Server Time
29 Apr 2024 10:33:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no_image ignored in nested (difference > union > object)CSGmember
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 27 Mar 2020 09:58:52
Message: <5e7e069c$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/27/20 8:26 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 3/25/20 1:11 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>> On 3/25/20 8:05 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>>> On 3/25/20 5:52 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyway, I've promised to do some other stuff first thing this
>>> morning. I'll come back to this thread later.
>
> Thanks Bill and Alain for the input...
> When you get a moment please review:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content?title=Special:RecentChanges&hidebots=0

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Object_Modifiers

---
Where we start with:

"Some conditions can produce unexpected results."

is there a way to make it a note? "Note..."

---
I don't know looking at the next sentence / list again...

"When applied to CSG components these modifiers work as expected: All
Transforms, inverse, bounded_by, clipped_by, cutaway_textures,
Hierarchy, and sturm."

What do you think about striking that sentence and only listing the next
items that mostly don't get passed through CSG - except where we have
unions not using split_unions off? I was trying to list things where I
thought people might wonder whether they make it through CSG, but maybe
it's just more confusing to do this?

I mean, I didn't list textures{} interior_texture{}, etc mostly because
I think folks know or quickly learn how those work in CSG. They get
attached to surfaces and do propagate through CSG except to the extent
those surfaces are seen in the resultant CSG (and cutaway_textures use).

Maybe your first take on a simpler statement with a list for what
doesn't always make it through CSG is more understandable?

---
We list "Hierarchy" and it doesn't get highlighted with a link perhaps
due the upper case H ?

---
Perhaps reword the sentence:

"Setting split_union off provides the exception with unions and their
accepting unions."

as

"CSG unions pass all modifiers listed above unless split_union off has
been set in which case the later list is ignored as with difference,
intersection and merge."

---
Could we start a new paragraph before:

"Interiors get attached to the objects where interiors are defined."

Starting that paragraph with:

"While not technically object modifiers, object interior blocks and
finish subsurface blocks see similar CSG propagation complications.
Interiors get attached"

---
Where we have:

"In the case of subsurface,"

Perhaps change that to:

"Further, in the case of subsurface, ..."

---
Suppose:

"See also: All Transforms translate, rotate and scale"

technically includes too: matrix and transform{}.

---

Thanks for working on this.

Bill P.