POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : alpha.10064268 freezes : Re: alpha.10064268 freezes Server Time
26 Apr 2024 03:08:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha.10064268 freezes
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 20 Mar 2020 13:05:21
Message: <5e74f7d1$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/20/20 6:20 AM, jr wrote:

> intriguing.  does "substantially cut down" translate into subset of (current)
> features?

Eventually I hope; got a list in my head.

The initial work has more to do with how things are organized and built.
Attempting gnu make instead of autotool's automake -> make, for example.
Lots of little things are wrong - or not quite right - in our *nix build
system. Starting too from a new base with many of my branches merged.

Initial git repository included large boost and other libraries for
windows builds. The size required is now much smaller due Christoph's
work to move to c++11 threads, but as a code repository that old library
data doesn't go away. On *nix we don't need these libraries in the
repository at all.

The documentation(1), includes, sample scenes and code are all in the
same repository and I think it would be better as 4 different ones.
Though, I'm focused today on the one with the code.

Dumping the other than linux code. Otherwise, pruning the code and
comments as much as I can. To do my own thing - with any chance of
wrapping my head around the whole - code needs to be a POV-Ray cut down.
I don't know windows coding and have no interest in learning. I don't
care about the windows editor interfaces, certain functionality, etc.

A second reason to work on a cut down is my son bought me a Raspberry Pi
4 (4GB) board for Christmas. There, even more so than on my main
machine, I want to develop and run things entirely on a ramdisk. This
limits the playpen as a whole to 2GB or so.

Bill P.

(1) - Recently someone submitted a github request asking for the
documentation to be pulled out as its own repository (and with a
documentation specific license IIRC). Seems a pretty common approach on
github(1a). I just want that, the editor templates etc out of the way.

(1a) - Documentation images/binaries are also often handled 'off to the
side' of git/mercurial distributed type code control systems and these
files are in our git repository.