POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output file saving : Re: output file saving Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output file saving
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Mar 2020 14:47:50
Message: <5e5c1166$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/03/2020 à 19:56, Alain Martel a écrit :
> Le 2020-02-29 à 15:07, GioSeregni a écrit :
>> Hi to all, thank for the add  to this group and excuse me for mybad
>> english.
>> I am new in this forum, but I am a old user of POV-Ray (I remember the
>> old dkb
>> ....). 30 years ago (!) I starting my first parser, in lisp, from the
>> AutoCAD
>> ambient (from the data base, at run time, no dxf needed...)
>> Now, for memory lack reasons, I have encountered an unpleasant
>> problem. I am
>> unable to find the incomplete BMP/TGA file when when pov stops, for
>> various
>> reasons.
>> I understand that the new Radiosity (excellent) does not allow the quite
>> prosecution of the job, but the question is different. The partial bmp
>> was
>> useful for various reasons (use of the part, crash analysis ...).
>> Now I ask, is this option still possible? And if it is not possible,
>> what is the
>> structure of the "state" file?
>> I would have no problem capturing the data, but knowing the structure
>> it would
>> take less time to develop the tool.
>> Many thanks in advance and regards!
>> G.S.
>>

> Since the alpha of version 3.7, the image file is not generated until
> the render have finished. The data needed are saved in the *.povstat
> file allowing the continuation of an interrupted render.
> Radiosity is not that new as it was introduced with version 3.0.
> In the povstate file, the value of each pixel is represented as 3 single
> precision float number similar to that of an EXR file. This is, to my
> knowledge, only a superficial similarity. Also, those data are often not
> in a sequential order and the file may be sparse.

Nearly correct, but IIRC you are confusing two files.

The continuation file (C option) is more complex and contains the
sequence of block as they are rendered (with more than just 3 floats per
pixel). It is not sparse, but can become huge.

The image buffer (IM option, default is: disabled unless final image
would use more than 128 MB with 20 bytes per pixel) is actually that
sparse file, with N floats per pixel (and special data at the very end
of the file, see documentation).

The first file is used when you ask for continuation (and is able to
rebuild the second file). The second file is only used (when memory
setting requires it) between the start of the render and the write of
the rendered image in the requested file format.

Both files I/O can significantly slow down your render speed (irrelevant
when the render speed is so slow that it is better to have a continue
option instead of spending again a few hours)