POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : The Bright Star Catalogue : Re: The Bright Star Catalogue Server Time
8 May 2024 11:06:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Bright Star Catalogue
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 25 Feb 2020 15:18:11
Message: <5e558103@news.povray.org>
On 2020-01-14 9:20 PM (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> A sky sphere would use a different formula, but the math would be similar.
>
> Has anyone to date used the catalogue to generate a fairly realistic spherical
> sky shell or a flat image useful for uv-mapping a sphere?
>
> I'd like to be able to incorporate this into the solar system scene I've worked
> on, if I get the time to focus on it, and I have another project where I'd like
> to be able to look up from a given position on earth at a certain angle at a
> given date and time and see a reasonably accurate view.

I had been thinking about this around the beginning of the year, but the
more I pondered, the more complications there seemed to consider.  How
bright?  How to deal with dynamic range?  What resolution?  In general,
how would I make one tool that would apply across various scales and
lighting conditions?  (Similar considerations are why I haven't put
beverage materials in the CoffeeMug include file.)

I just punted in despair, figuring each project might require a somewhat
specialized solution, but I didn't notice the new thread activity until now.