POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 1 vanishing point perspective : Re: 1 vanishing point perspective Server Time
27 Apr 2024 19:28:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1 vanishing point perspective
From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 5 Jan 2020 05:38:32
Message: <5e11bca8$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/01/2020 18:11, Kenneth wrote:
> [I've been away from the newsgroups for a long time; this is my first post in
> quite awhile!]
>
> I'm not a 'student' of perspective in drawing (although I like to sketch a lot),
> but I would say that POV's regular perspective camera, in and of itself,
> produces the kind of views you're looking for.
>
> The 'perspective' camera doesn't introduce any curvilinear distortions, the way
> a real camera lens would. (I think that's because it's essentially a 'pinhole
> camera'.)
>
> To my mind, the number of vanishing points in a scene seems to depend on the
> camera's viewpoint (and maybe the particular subject matter in the scene?) Maybe
> that's a VERY obvious statement, ha. If the camera is looking 'straight
> ahead'--and all of the scene objects' surface planes are  parallel or
> orthogonal(?) to the camera plane-- then it looks like "1-point perspective" to
> me. (That's my naive analysis, anyway.)
>
> Here's a really simple scene to experiment with. The appearence of the rotated
> cube looks like... 2-point perspective?

Thanks for that.

On my side and after several tries, I have arrived at what i want. The
camera parameters are quite difficult to adjust.

camera {
  location <36,5,0>
  right x*image_width/image_height
  look_at <0,5,0>
  angle 45
  }

All the frames are identical. The red dot is at infinity on -x axis
See result image in p.b.i.

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise