POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : alpha.10064268 freezes : Re: alpha.10064268 freezes Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:57:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha.10064268 freezes
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Dec 2019 10:20:55
Message: <5debc357$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/6/19 10:59 AM, jr wrote:
>> Interpolation with respect to media... Not completely sure what you
>> mean, but, there are directions on my wiki page at:
>
> in a 'density {}' loaded from df3.

Ah, OK. Depending on how you're using the df3 in media it might be worth
giving my wiki page:

  http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Wfpokorny/DensityFile

a read. There are issues with the df3 interpolation which can make using
it tricky.

> right, had a quick look at your wiki page.  so generally, first git clone
> POV-Ray master, then the checkout/pull sequence near bottom (with name of
> branch)?  I found an ebook/pdf (by S Chacon), am resigned to having to read it.
> ...in the coming days.  :-)

Yeah, you got the idea. Intent was to set it up so folks building
POV-Ray themselves could roll their own derivatives of POV-Ray chosing
what branches they want to merge into the current master for their
version. Might be they have three branches of their own, might want to
use 2 of mine, 3 of SuperCoder12StrandedOnMarsEatingPotatoes etc.

>> (1) - The inability to add new links to discussion and documentation
>> made the wiki much less useful - and I've more or less just been letting
>> my pages sit as is for long time.
>
> I've been toying with the idea of trying to get a wiki page, for the df3-tools
> mainly.  but the site seems quite static, not really encouraging contribution (I
> feel).

Don't have time for real hobby coding this morning before being tied up
for some days. Why not some rambling thoughts about the wiki...

---
Over the last month or more, Maurice has been substantially improving the

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_POV-Ray_with_Blender

page which can be found off of the

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Contents

page. This evidence not everything is stale on the wiki. Folks do make
updates.

But, I agree the wiki is kinda stale. Writing wikis not too bad for
simple one page an image two sorts of things. For more, I find it
cumbersome.

In addition to trouble creating links to other pages:

To write more than one page, as with the density file pattern stuff, I
found the coding and previewing via the web cumbersome.  I ended up
using a linux tool called Zim to first code, review, organize and refine
the pages locally(1). The wiki encoding though was slightly different
than that of POV-Ray's wiki implementation. It was a pain to transfer
everything to the POV-Ray wiki(2). I got some of this wrong due cut and
pasting, formatting differences, etc.

(1) - Zim a neat tool. Though it's spell checker broke for time while I
was using it due a Ubuntu release...

(2) - Now that everything on the POV-Ray wiki, major revisions can no
longer easily be done locally within Zim...

I found myself revising / changing images, but there is no way to delete
old ones yourself, so you end up being overly careful using images. With
some I replaced the image with much simpler "delete me" ones hoping some
admin would see this and do it. Suppose behavior might be due a wiki
being able to back up to old versions, but if I'm creating the first
release of some documentation I don't want all the old versions to exist
but just the 'released' one.

Once personal wiki's are up. They are sitting out there not very
visible. Is there even a page which lists user wikis? Maintained pages
sit on a wiki where lots of stuff has fallen out of date and needs
revision. People see that general staleness and shy away both from
reading the wiki entries - and from updating old ones.

Normal users cannot update the stuff they don't own. A few super users
can - spam concerns again I guess. This forces normal users into a "can
I get the attention of a super user;" then into a sort of type this,
then this, kinda of loop with them; on seeing some wrong or wanting some
change. This loop too is cumbersome. It gets to there being nobody being
paid to stay on top of the wiki and documentation always. Someone always
finding and refining issues as their job. We have similar issues with
the core documentation/build and release systems too as mentioned
elsewhere.

With user wikis there is always the problem that we might not completely
understand what we are trying to document ;-). What to do when well
intention-ed, but wrong pages get posted? Wikipedia has this problem
too. What they've done with subjects like Math is gather/(pay?) experts
as arbiters for what's written - much better end result, but still you
occasionally run across mistakes and biases in what's written.

We have a single physical web site. When it goes down or my local
network connection does, I'd like to have local copy of the wiki,
library and the newsgroup postings as I do for the documentation. Or at
least have snapshots of these available on the cloud - github or
wherever.

A few expert folk maintain their own web sites for what might go on a
wiki, but that an investment. Plus, knowing where all these web sites
are today means maintaining a list of links to them yourself.

Back to the Zim tool, its github wiki page at:

https://github.com/jaap-karssenberg/zim-wiki/wiki

is an interesting model for putting a wiki on github. The wiki link on
the Zim web site links to the github wiki above.

Bill P.