POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : building povmodeler? : Re: building povmodeler? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 08:46:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: building povmodeler?
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 28 Nov 2019 15:50:02
Message: <5de032fa@news.povray.org>
On 11/28/19 10:26 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>
>> It built first shot in qtcreator!  And it runs fine, go figure.
>
> Can you provide instructions so I can replicate?

0) make build directory
mkdir ~/povmodelerton
cd ~/povmodelerton

1) Clone his repo
git clone https://github.com/eticre/povmodeler.git

2) Make sure you have cmake
sudo apt install cmake

3) In Qtcreator, enable cmake
Menu -> Tools -> Options
Left Menu - Kits

3a)
Top Tab - CMake
Add
I called mine cmake-3.10.3
I have "Autorun cmake" checked.

3b)
Top Tab - Kits
Add
Name: cmake
It should auto-fill in everything else. Important fields:
   Device Type: Desktop
   CMake Tool: (The one you just created in the cmake tab)

OK to put this mess away

4)
Menu -> Open File
~/povmodelerton/povmodeler/CMakeLists.txt

This takes you to the "Projects" screen.
All of the "Build and Run" options are dimmed out.
Click on "cmake" to enable it.

This will create a slew of text boxes for options, and it should
auto-fill the bulk of them.

This is done.  There is no "OK" to put it away.

5)
Now, in the grey strip on the far left of the window, click the Edit
button (Above Design).  Note the project "qt5-pov".

On the bottom of the grey strip, the monitor icon is surrounded with
"qt5-pov" "Debug"

6)
Build it.  Type ^B to build or if you're really brave ^R to build and run :)

The bottom strip buttons "4 Compile Output"  will let you follow along.

7)
Go get a beer.  Or two.  This takes a while.

>> It's um, very mouse-main-menu oriented.  It seems like a lot of work to
>> do a little.
>
> I figured - but that's why we code.  Though some things are very hard to do
> _without_ a modeler....

Agreed.  But, I'm not seeing any particular benefit to this modeler.
It's a great start, but for me it needs

1. Tree Editor to easily rearrange the nodes in the tree.

2. Better context menus in the tree.
   I want to right click in the tree, "Insert -> Simple shapes -> Box"

3. Filtered menus.
   Right now every option is always present.  So there are a 1000 menu
entries with "Pigment" buried in the 23rd menu of the 23rd menu.  If I'm
on a "texture" node in the tree, I don't need "Global Settings", I need
"Pigment".

4. Resize object by click-drag in the modeler windows.
   (Grabbing in the Camera view would be hard, but Top/Left/Front views
should be easy)

5. Highlight the current object when selected in the tree.

6. A bug.  "Render" launches /usr/bin/povray and it and its window just
stay when it's done.  One must go to the shell and kill it to terminate it.

7. Hotkeys.  I want ^R to render, etc.

> ALSO:
> I just did an apt-get upgrade, and while I was helping out jr, I noticed that
> qtpovray editor now loses my cursor for a while until I arrow-key up and down.
> If I just click on a line, I get a yellow highlight but I have no idea where in
> the line the cursor is.   :(

This is driving me crazy.  I was gonna ask if you started seeing it too.
I am to the point where I need to ask on Qt forums "wtf?".

--
dik
Rendered 29,795,558,400 of 49,882,521,600 pixels (59%)