POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar with i= : Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar with i= Server Time
17 May 2024 20:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar with i=
From: Alain Martel
Date: 19 Nov 2019 12:50:40
Message: <5dd42b70$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2019-11-17 à 15:56, tmelram a écrit :
> Hi, I am using Blender to model and wanted to use POV ray to render my scenes.
> But, I'm getting serious shadow issues. There seem to be triangles near wherever
> there are shadows!
>
> A picture of the problem:
> https://i.imgur.com/z6Ftxv6.png
>
> How can I remedy this??

This is a mesh sphere. The triangle are places where the triangles
composing the sphere are actually pointing away from the light but their
normals would demand that they be illuminated.

The usual solutions are :
Subdivide the mesh. (make the triangles smaller)
Use an area_light with the area_illumination feature. (make the
terminator more fuzzy)
Rotate the object or change the location of the light. (shift the
problem area out of view or shift the light so that it no longe cause
the problem)

None of those are perfect. All often still show those triangles, but
make them less visible or smaller. The last option listed can, in some
cases, hide the problem area, but probably won't work in this case.