POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) : Re: Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) Server Time
8 Jun 2024 20:42:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Oct 2019 06:57:10
Message: <5db2d506$1@news.povray.org>
Op 24/10/2019 om 16:57 schreef William F Pokorny:
>> Op 23/10/2019 om 15:38 schreef William F Pokorny:
>>>
>>> Are you able to compile personal versions of POV-Ray?
>>
>> I prefer to wait for a release; no hurry ;-)
>
> :-) In that, I expect you intended to touch upon my standing quandary.
>
> Prior to bailing on pull requests altogether, nothing of mine got into
> POV-Ray proper after an initial set of 30 or so commits - and that's OK.
> It just is. Nobody is being paid to deal with my pile of junk or to do
> the grunt work of releases.
>
> My recent path has been to do what I'm interested in and to provide that
> code as branches so anyone interested - and compiling versions of
> POV-Ray themselves - can play.
>
> To do releases requires I commit to doing them in some fashion - that I
> commit time. Against such an investment I'm looking of late at
> relatively major code and structural changes to finish off the solver
> stuff I've been at a long time; at a practical break with the official
> POV-Ray code base.
>
> I'm uncertain how to proceed with my hobby. This VM / pattern / built in
> function stuff of late(1) is me procrastinating.
>
> In any case, it's good you're in no hurry for a release of my recent
> changes! :-)
>
> (1) - A faster multi-object pattern capability is on my list of ideas
> for additional inbuilt functions, but not one near the top. It's the
> case the inside testing, upon which the object pattern is built, is
> often slow.

In general I prefer to keep clear of compiling as such. It is not my
strongest point nor my primary interest. However, I hope that, one way
or another, your investigations get into the main branch somehow. I
guess there are lot of goodies worth to be offered to the simple users
at large, like me :-)

>>> I cleaned up the scene this morning as instructive of technique even
>>> without a version of POV-Ray with which to use it.
>>
>> I shall study this; Thank you indeed.
>>

> Sorry to see this morning my scrub failed to remove three pointless
> declares in Jade0, FnRadialRaw and FnYYOffRaw.
>
> The technique boils down to having raw_wave, three turbulence
> specifications applied to three y plane 'sheets' and the three gradient
> values to dial in how much of the turbulence fuzz the rays pick up. The
> rest is normal scene stuff - at which you are more capable than me.

Oh well, I shall do my best. I find your basic technique interesting and
shall first investigate how using other wave forms apply.

--
Thomas