POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Fixing longstanding function/pattern issues in v38. New raw_wave keyword. : Re: Fixing longstanding function/pattern issues in v38. New raw_wave keywor= Server Time
28 Apr 2024 05:08:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fixing longstanding function/pattern issues in v38. New raw_wave keywor=
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 20 Oct 2019 09:57:14
Message: <5dac67ba$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/19/19 11:01 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Well, I think I found an issue with the way that the angle is calculated for the
> radial pattern.

I think you did. Looks too me like only integer frequency multipliers
have ever worked with the radial pattern. Probably how most use the
pattern, but wow.

Attached is an image where the top two rows use a +z orthogonal camera
and the bottom row a perspective camera. Always looking at a thin z
plane sheet displaced by the radial's returned values.

In the top row, left column looking at the RadialPattern::EvaluateRaw()
output values directly using my new raw_wave keyword. The pattern in the
270-360 angle range start in the value range 1.00 to 1.25 and those
values must "come down" by one to create a continuous pattern 0-1.

The means even at the default frequency of 1.0 the wave modification
code is using fmod() to bring the 1.00 to 1.25 values down. Top row,
right column.

The current method works for f>1 integers as can be seen with frequency
2 in the second row, left column. Where I used 360/270 as you did, we
expose the discontinuity on the right of the second row.

In the bottom row on the left a perspective camera view with frequency
1.0. On the right 360/270. What's interesting to me is where the
original pattern is continuous, the 1.333 works. We corkscrew by -90*y
degrees - but this exposes the discontinuity. The size of the
discontinuity also not consistent relative to frequency - at 1.9 it's
much smaller. Expect that sometimes tends to hide the problem as well.

We should fix this and reduce those huge 0.001 tolerances around x,z
zero too. We've got a discontinuity around the y axis too for most of
the rotation around y. I'll put it on my list to create a code branch
fixing these issues - stealing from your suggested code.

Aside: Apologies to all for my writing yesterday. Far too much of my
usual internal 'thought-storm' got to the page. Happened to bring up the
original post and - "frustrating to recognition" - among others. Dang
brain...

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: