POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : povray.conf contains evil directory : Re: povray.conf contains evil directory Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:48:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray.conf contains evil directory
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 11 Oct 2019 08:49:18
Message: <5da07a4e$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/11/19 7:22 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>> For me, on debian/ubuntu/mint, povray/qtpovray ends up at
>> /usr/share/povray-3.7
>> /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8
>
> weird.  neither is "system" software, so should go under '/usr/local' (or
> '/opt'), aiui.
>

> regards, jr.

/usr/share: Architecture-independent (shared) data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

I have 351 directories of foo under /usr/share

/usr/local is for stuff I build myself.  I didn't, I installed the
"official" debian package.

/opt is for optional.   Good for whole self contained self-downloaded
packages.  Like /opt/eclipse and /opt/Qt.

I'm curious, on your slackware system, where do your *.vim files live?
(like filetype.vim)  The povray %INSTALLDIR% is a cousin of that.

--
dik
Rendered 1024 of 2073600 pixels (0%)