POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting brighter shadow with radiosity : Re: Getting brighter shadow with radiosity Server Time
24 Apr 2024 02:49:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting brighter shadow with radiosity
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Oct 2019 02:58:55
Message: <5d9ae22f$1@news.povray.org>

https://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_3857a_KaBOOM-at-KSC_Ken-Kremer.jpg

>> I tried to get shadows that are brighter like on the source image but
>> the only
>> trick that works for that purpose was to add a second light source
>> with the
>> 'shadowless' keyword (inspired a little from three light point sources
>> technique
>> for 3d scenes, the shadowless light source is on the side of the sene by
>> comparison with the light that casts shadows). I tried with a single
>> light
>> source with the following for the color: 'color srgb <1, 1, 0.95>*1.2'
>> but the
>> resulting shadows are too black. Of course all this imply using
>> radiosity, so
>> the ambient value must be set to 0 (I use the 3.8 version of povray,
>> so I don't
>> need to set ambient values to 0 with the '#default' keyword. I saw on
>> the povray
>> radiosity wiki page that recursion_limit can change the indirectly-lit
>> object
>> but I didn't see any changes by setting this value to 3 or 4

For open air scenes, recursion_limit can/should stay at 1; it is only
useful to increase it for indoor scenes. Be aware that render time
increases also somewhat in that case.

>> So my question is how do you get bright shadows with radiosity ? Do
>> you use
>> several light sources or do you have others techniques ?
>>

> One thing that you can do :
> Have a sky_sphere with the sky as you like it.
>
> sky_sphere{pigment{Your_Sky_Pigment}}
>
> Now, add a large sphere around your scene, Give it the same texture as
> your sky_sphere, but with a high emission finish :
>
> sphere{0,1 // So that you don't need to scale your pigment
>   pigment{Your_Sky_Pigment}
>   finish{diffuse 0 emission 3}
>   // Don't interact with lights, but make it bright !
>   scale 10000 // make it large
>   hollow // to remove a warning and allow the use of media & fog
>   no_image no_reflection // So that it don't show
> }
>
> That's not the only option.

indeed, but yours is an easy and fast solution.

Otherwise, in the radiosity block, if you have not done so, switch
'normal' and/or 'media' to 'on' (off by default).

--
Thomas