POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : verres1 file plus photons : Re: verres1 file plus photons Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:57:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: verres1 file plus photons
From: Alain Martel
Date: 25 Sep 2019 19:03:49
Message: <5d8bf255$1@news.povray.org>

> Aside: Since you have multiple lights... Christoph added some
> parallelism when shooting photons based upon each light source. Long
> wondered how much we might speed up photon generation on a large
> machines like yours by creating multiple, near duplicate light sources
> where each light source sits today. My bet is it would speed up the
> photon shooting step quite a bit if you have the cores - and slight
> offsets in the near duplicates might help the deposited distribution
> some. Would have to manage/adjust intensities for the multiples. If your
> interested in some experimentation, I'd be interested in what you find.
>
> Bill P.

It's not a good idea to duplicate lights. It's even worst in a photons
scene as the photons from the duplicated lights will be shot in the same
pattern and end up in the same locations = more photons, but same end
result.

It would be better to use area_light and add photons{area_light} to it's
definition.

This also tend to make photons more fuzzy, which may help hide the
graininess.

Also, avoid using sor with the open option. This is particularly
important with any object with an ior.
When you encounter a single surface, light get bent once. If you
encounter two surfaces, it is like the object is solid thorough.
You need to actually model the inner side of your object by backtracking
to the start point and shift your points slightly inward.

The open option should never be used with any transparent object, no
matter what primitive is used.