POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : verres1 file plus photons : Re: verres1 file plus photons Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:00:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: verres1 file plus photons
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 Sep 2019 18:07:16
Message: <5d8be514$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/25/19 3:24 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 9/25/19 1:38 PM, Norbert Kern wrote:

> Otherwise, not sure. If you do play with any of the options above beware
> it might be you end up suddenly with many more photons deposited at your
> current spacing.

As the day passed a few other thoughts popped into my head.

a) Might be worth it to try "split_union off" in all your unions. It
sometimes makes for a significant difference though I find it hard
myself to align results and the documented behavior.

b) You are using spotlights so might be worth checking they are lined up
well on things you expect to "focus/disperse" light. If your photons
shot to photons deposited ratio >>1 sometimes an indication and that
might relate to (a) somewhat.

c) Quite a few photon scenes I've seen are relatively simple. Single
water surface, lens, etc . In your scene you have quite a few lights and
quite a few glassy / reflective objects. The more bounce/bend surfaces
the higher your photon density needs to be because a lot of it spreads.
Scenes like the one posted are also more sensitive max trace levels. The
greater that depth the more accurate results, but also you tend to need
to shoot more photons... Long winded way to say it might just be you
need a lot of photons...

Aside: Since you have multiple lights... Christoph added some
parallelism when shooting photons based upon each light source. Long
wondered how much we might speed up photon generation on a large
machines like yours by creating multiple, near duplicate light sources
where each light source sits today. My bet is it would speed up the
photon shooting step quite a bit if you have the cores - and slight
offsets in the near duplicates might help the deposited distribution
some. Would have to manage/adjust intensities for the multiples. If your
interested in some experimentation, I'd be interested in what you find.

Bill P.